Saturday 25 February 2017

My Interview with Author Darlene Tallman



1.    When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?
I’ve always enjoyed writing and have been a “daydreamer” all of my life. It wasn’t until 2016 when I started sharing some of the stories that were in my head that several published authors encouraged me to push that publish button.
 
2.    Where do you get your ideas for your book?
Everywhere. As an example, the one I’m working on now, “His Forever”, came about during my long 600 mile drive home from Virginia. I was on a back road with no cell signal and my mind started thinking “what if”…with nearly 24k down already, I have to say, it’s going to be interesting!
 
3.    What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?
I’m a licensed master cosmetologist, so I serve the seniors in several different assisted living homes several times a month. I love to read and have been known to stay up all night if the book is good. And while I haven’t done it as much lately, I enjoy crocheting and making things for others.
 
4.    How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
Right now, I have four published books. One just came back from the editor and is back in my beta readers’ hands for one final read-through. It will be included in an upcoming boxset “Happy Valencuff” and also be published as a standalone (Operation Valentine). While my first one will always hold a special place, I think the one that was just published, “Heaven’s Sinners MC – Her Kinsman-Redeemer” is my favorite.
 
5.    Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?
Keep writing. Find a group of people you trust to read what you’ve written and listen to their suggestions. Don’t be afraid to hit publish. Ask an author (or two) that you currently follow in a private message if they will mentor you. The indie community is, for the most part, a community of folks who are willing to help others succeed.
 
6.    What do you think makes a great story?
Hmm, that’s a tough question. I think when the writer has an idea and lets the characters tell the story the way they want to, it makes for a great read. You don’t always need angst or drama, sometimes a sweet love story is a refreshing change, you know? I think, too, if the writer makes their characters believable, the reader becomes invested in the story. So, if a writer can produce a story that gives the reader the “feels”? It’s a great story in my book!
 
7.    Which Writer/Authors inspire you?
How much space do I have? I cut my teeth on the likes of Kathleen Woodiwiss and Jude Devereaux and Fern Michaels. Having fallen into the world of indie authors, there are so many I look to for inspiration, most of whom have encouraged this crazy journey of mine. I know I’ll leave someone out, but off the top of my head – L. Ann Marie, Barbi Barnard, MariaLisa DeMora, Winter Travers, Kathleen Kelly, Geri Glenn, Glenna Maynard, Jordan Marie , Cherry Shephard – all have inspired me in one way or another. And then there is GM Scherbert and Bb Blaque – while I don’t write the kind of books they do, they’ve still been very encouraging in this journey.
 
8.    What are you working on at the moment?(optional)
I’ve got several percolating right now, but in the forefront is “His Forever”, the story I came up with driving home from Virginia after a lovely vacation with my son and his family.
 
9.    What genre are your books?
Hmmm, they’re all over the map! I have two different Christian MCs out, and two contemporary romances out. But I have another contemporary romance (or ten) coming, and also have quite a bit done on a shifter story.
 
10.What drew you to the genre you write?
Honestly, the muses dictate the story which determines the genre ultimately. I have another MC series started, not a Christian MC but not a 1% either (although a fellow author has lent me some of her characters to take care of business!), the shifter series, and several more contemporary romances.
 
11.Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)
I visualized Sam Elliott while creating Zeke from Her Kinsman-Redeemer, so definitely an older actor (maybe 40s) with a bit of salt and pepper, and I love the woman who played in the movie “Easy A”. She’d make a great Angelina!
 
 
12.Do you write full-time or part-time?
Right now, it’s part-time. I would love it if I could write full-time, but it’s not possible. So I get words in whenever they strike, carrying around a notebook to jot stuff down and then sometimes, staying up all night to get words onto the document.
 
13.What is the hardest thing about writing?
Writing sex scenes is tough for me. I don’t want them to appear mechanical, you know? And because I publish under my real name, I’m always worried that folks who know me in real life will be like “I thought she believed in “x” and here she is writing a sex scene!”
 
14.Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?
Keep putting words down. Even if you go back and edit them out, keep writing. If you are genuinely stuck, go read. Clean the house. Go shopping. When push comes to shove, I will have conversations with my muses to ask what in the world they are doing. I might be a little bit crazy. I think all writers are because we listen to the characters.
 
15.Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?
I usually read before bed, and have a slew of one-click authors ranging from Kristen Ashley to Winter Travers. I also beta read for a number of authors and their genres are all over the place. About the only thing I don’t care for is science fiction (think Star Wars, not the paranormal stuff that’s out there).
 
16.Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
If not for my beta readers and my editor, I don’t think I would have hit publish. My biggest suggestion for anyone who wants to become an author– follow your dream. There are so many who will encourage you. Search those folks out.
 
17.How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)
My author page on facebook is www.facebook.com/darlenetallmanauthor
I have a “fan page” with Erin Osborne called “The Clubhouse” and the link to that is:
 
And my Amazon page is:
 
 
 
Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview

No comments:

Post a Comment