Sunday 9 October 2016

My Interview with Author Laila Raimes


1.     When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author? Late teens to early twenties.  I’ve always loved reading any genre, but paranormal/fantasy/Sci-Fi the most. 

2.     Where do you get your ideas for your book?  My ideas are always based on either an experience of mine, my families or a close friend that I place in a paranormal, urban fantasy setting.

3.     What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing? Ha!  I love spending time with my family we are extremely close, I love cooking, I love reading, movies, I knit…

4.     How many books have you written? I have five that are available currently.  Which is your favorite? My favorite, or as I call it my ‘baby’ is the Alt Series – Tiny Tragedies.

5.     Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?  Do it.  Just write what keeps you awake at night and what you can’t stop living during the day.  But make sure to go through each process.  If you want readers to enjoy your work, it takes time, effort, and money.

6.     What do you think makes a great story?  There has to be depth and real-life experiences.  Something that could happen.  Even when writing fiction.  Especially when writing fiction.  It can’t be overly impossible.  Readers need to be able to relate or ‘see’ themselves in the characters and circumstances.

7.     Which Writer/Authors inspire you?  I’ve read so many it’s hard to pinpoint them.  But I love Cassandra Clare, Deborah Harkness, SM Reine, Marie Hall, Danika Dark, Shannon Mayer, I don’t write this genre but I absolutely love Nicole Snow, George RR Martin, Jessica Sorenson, Lara Swann, K.F. Breene, C.E. Black, Rebecca Zanetti, Coreene Callahan, Teyla Branton, C.M. Owens, Suzanne Wright, Priscilla West, Jennifer L. Armentrout, Robin Hobb, Nina Levine, Skye Warren, E.L. Todd, Ditter Kellen,  Sarah J. Maas, Merrill Gemus, Alan Dean Foster… I could go on…

8.     What are you working on at the moment?(optional)  I’m currently working on the first standalone book of my Governed Mates Series entitled Stockholm Syndrome. 

9.     What genre are your books? Paranormal Romance or Urban Fantasy

10.                        What drew you to the genre you write?  Plain and simple?  Life.  I’ve always seemed to need to escape it even if only for a moment.  Writing about things that gives a persons mind a reprieve from their reality which isn’t always serene is what I strive to do.

11.                        Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)  Sundry from the Alt World Series… I could see Emma Stone in her red-headed glory playing her.  She is perfect, physically almost identical to how I picture Sundry to be, plus just from her face you can tell she has spunk.

12.                        Do you write full-time or part-time? Part-time.  Not fortunate yet to be able to do so full-time.

13.                        What is the hardest thing about writing? When you have a story to tell no matter what it is, I think it just flows.  The hardest thing is finding readers who are willing to take a chance and actually pay for all the effort you put into each and every story.  For me and my stories, they are rooted deeply within me.  There is always something of myself in every book that I put out there.  You just hope that someone sees that, reads it and even better understands it.

14.                        Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block? Ugh.  Let the characters ‘talk’ to you.  Let them tell their story.  But also take a break, read a book, watch a movie, go outside, take a walk and let your mind rest.  Usually after you’ve seen the beauty in the world outside a PC/laptop your mind refocuses and you can proceed.  At least for me.

15.                        Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?  See the authors who inspire me or this will be an unending list J

16.                        Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?  I can’t think of anything else except to say how thankful I am that you reached out to me for an interview.  I love writing, but it really is the readers that make what we Indie Authors do take on meaning.  Sure I/we write because we love it, because there’s a life out there that has to be heard, but it’s those that actually hear it and take the time out to leave reviews, spread the word/tell their friends, or contact the author that make it all worthwhile, whether (at least for me) I’m a best selling author or not.

17.                        How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links) Reach out to me anywhere.  My personal email is Laila.Raimes@Gmail.com, my FB page is: https://www.facebook.com/LailaRaimesAuthor/          My website is: lailaraimes.weebly.com

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment