Tuesday 3 January 2017

My Interview with Author Whitley Cox








1.     When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

I wanted to be a writer as far back as elementary school. But then my love of dolphins made me lean towards Marine Biology, and through the years my tastes and interests changed and people told me writers don’t make any money, so I abandoned the notion. But then backpacking for my honeymoon and all the adventures my husband and I had reignited my passion for the written word and story telling. I came home after six months and twelve countries, and started putting my thoughts to paper, and I haven’t looked back since.

2.     Where do you get your ideas for your book?

Everyday life, my friendships, my friend’s stories, weird conversations I’ve had with people. My own experiences, things I’ve read or watched on television. Everything and anything can be an inspiration, it’s all in how we perceive it. Some of the zany text-message conversations in my books are actual text-messages I’ve had with my friends.

3.     What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

I have a vivacious two-year-old, and she keeps me busy and entertained. We also have a fluffy dog whose coat alone is a fulltime job. But I also enjoy running and exercising, cooking and random forms of art like painting and felt crafts.

4.     How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

“Technically” I’ve written seven. But because my first five (a complete series) are on the longer side, I’ve decided to chop each book in half and release them as two-parts. So a five story series will be released as ten books in total. And then I have two other books completed. One stand-alone and the first book of a new four book series I’ve started. So I guess you could say I’ve written seven, but have twelve completed books to release.

5.     Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

Write what you’re passionate about. Write true to yourself and don’t let anyone sway your style if it doesn’t feel right in the end.

6.     What do you think makes a great story?

Complex characters who grow and change, and a compelling storyline. That being said, I’ve read books where I like the characters and the storyline is decent but the writing style itself is tough to swallow. I have a challenging time getting through choppy writing where the same verb/noun is used over and over again. Find a synonym for “nipple” because if it’s on the same page eight times it’s going to be distracting and pull your readers from the story. 

7.     Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

Sylvia Day, Diana Gabaldon, Rosina Lippi, Cora Seton, Susan Hayes, Rebecca Zanetti.

8.     What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

The first book I ever wrote, “Sex, Heat and Hunger” which became book 3 and 4 in my first series (The Dark and Damaged Hearts Series), is my one of my favorites and my favorite couple. And although their story is far from over, and we see their life together take shape throughout the rest of the series, I’ve decided to write their honeymoon. It’ll be a shorter novel, 40-60K words, but I’m excited to write them again. And instead of the initial get-to-know-you kind of romance, I get to dive right into the all-consuming, undying passion.

9.     What genre are your books?

Contemporary Erotic Romance. But my books are full of humor, a touch of darkness, lots of realism (I embrace reality and skirt the edge of fantasy) and lots of beginner kink.

10.What drew you to the genre you write?

It’s fun to write. It’s hot and it sells. 

11.Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)

Ooh… I’d love it if Rachelle Lefevre played Kendra and I think Jensen Ackles would be a great Justin. This is the lead couple in my first book “Love, Passion and Power”

 

12.Do you write full-time or part-time?

I write when I find the time. So part-time I guess. I’m a Stay-at-home-mom, so I write during naps and once the kiddo is in bed for the night. 

13.What is the hardest thing about writing?

Finding the time to write. Killing your darlings. Self-promotion and getting your name out there. Harsh reviewers.

14.Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

I pick a different art path, like felt work or painting, so I’m still using the right side of my brain, but just in a different way. I also come up with some of my best scenes while exercising. But if none of that works to cure the block, then I read. I read other people’s work for inspiration, and more often than not, that lights the fire back under my butt and I’m good to go.

15.Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I used to read a ton. But now it’s tough to find enough hours in the day to read and write. But I read all kinds. Self-help parenting books, romance, erotic romance, comedy, fantasy etc. I love Diana Gabaldon, Sylvia Day, Sara Donati, Cindy Gerard, Rebecca Zanetti, Paul Sussman, J.K. Rowling, George R.R. Martin and Terry Goodkind to name a few.

16.Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

I can’t think of anything, ha-ha!

17.How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

Facebook                   
Website       
Buy Links -
itunes


Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview

Thank you very much for having me. It’s been a pleasure. Take care!


No comments:

Post a Comment